Art and Design at Beaufront First School
At Beaufront County First School we believe that a high quality Art and Design Curriculum is essential if children are to engage with, experience, appreciate and enjoy art of all forms. We plan that they will develop a range of artistic skills that will allow them to express their creativity and own ideas in different ways.
In our Early Years Foundation Stage, we aim to
* Ensure that children develop skills to express themselves in different imaginative, tactile and creative ways
* Ensure that children are confident to demonstrate their creative and imaginative thoughts, ideas and feelings through art
* Ensure that children have a developing awareness and knowledge of different forms of art and creative expression
* Ensure that children have a developing knowledge of known artists and their techniques and styles
In Key Stage 1 and 2 children study Art as part of the National Curriculum and we aim to:
* Ensure that children continue to develop a range of skills and techniques in order to create different forms of art.
* Ensure that children use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
* Ensure that children are confident to compare and discuss their own and other creative works, analysing them and expressing their own opinions using the language of art.
* Ensure that children have a deepening knowledge of artists, techniques and styles and their place within culture and history.
* Children have daily opportunities to express their own ideas through imaginative play with access to a range of materials and tools
* Children experience different forms of art and develop knowledge of artists techniques, skills and styles by looking closely at different artists and techniques each half term
* Children have techniques and skills modelled to them and have guided opportunities to develop such techniques and skills
* Children are encouraged to further develop their skills through independent creative activities which can be discussed and evaluated to support critical thinking and progress in skills
Key Stage 1 & 2
*Children have carefully planned opportunities to express their own ideas through experimenting with a range of materials and tools including digital resources.
* Children experience different forms of art and develop knowledge of artists’ techniques, skills and styles.
* Children have techniques and skills modelled to them and have guided opportunities to develop such techniques and skills.
* Children are encouraged to further develop their skills through guided creative activities which draw on cross curricular work.
* Children are encouraged to discuss and evaluate art to support critical thinking and progress in skills.
* Children are given opportunities to consider the importance of art and artists throughout history and across different cultures and religions.
* Engaged, inspired and challenged artists
* Children demonstrate a range of skills with increasing proficiency
* Children are confident to express themselves creatively
* Children value and appreciate art and the vital role it takes in different cultures, religions and throughout history
We will measure the impact of our Art curriculum through the following methods:
* Displays featuring and celebrating the children’s art work
* Art books and sketchbooks/ collections of children’s work
* Individual and collaborative works of art produced in class, during whole-school days, and in Art Club